Thursday 12 December 2013

Nigger go home.... thats what he told me, plus anti-racism video

'Nigger go home' and for emphasis he said it again. I was in Enfield Greater London, time was about 11.30pm, on my home from Uni some hapless fellow retorted the earlier words to me. We were alone and I knew if I took the physical approach I could incapacitate him and teach him a huge lesson. Common sense prevailed and I thought 'I'm better than that' and walked away. It hurt me sha... for the first time in my life I was concious I was black.

If you've never lived outside Nigeria then you probably cannot appreciate or fathom how uncomfortable people can get when you are around. Like you have an invisible tag that says 'thief', n'mugger' etc or when people would decide not to seat next to you on the train or as one guy asked me in Stanmore 'you are from Africa? have you ever been on a train?'. Thankfully the 1st was the only blatant racist experience I had others were more subtle. Your skin is not your sin. Racism or reverse racism needs to be stamped out. Lets embrace love.

Saying that, I love the Ad shown here. 9 years old but still potent as ever.

1 comment: